Press "Enter" to skip to content

These Are Documents And The Most Important Tax Forms You Need For Filing

Whether you do it your self or hire a professional, you need documentation and particular information to file your tax return.

Here’s a listing of things taxpayers should fill out the job.

Personal information

Let’s start with the obvious.

• Last year’s taxes your federal and state return, if appropriate.   They refreshers of everything you registered last year, although these aren’t strictly mandatory.

• Social Security numbers for yourself, your spouse and all dependents.   Bear in mind, in addition dependents can include others and elderly parents.  


Gather all the documents that confirm how much cash you received during  the previous year.

• W-2 forms.  Employers need to issue these by Jan. 31, so keep an eye on your mailboxes, both physical and electronic.

• 1099 forms.  Every one one of these ends using a suffix that was different, based on the kind of payment you’ve got. For contract work, kind 1099-MISC is by way of example. You’ll likely get a 1099-K if you are paid via a third party such as PayPal or Amazon. Investment earnings appear on 1099-DIV for dividends 1099-INT for interest and 1099-B for transactions that are broker-handled.

MORE:  a tax calculator May give a sense of where you stand, As you go


Deductions help reduce. The key to claiming deductions is documentation. Not only will it protect you if you are ever audited, but in addition it may reduce your tax bill by helping you remember what to maintain. Gathering those documents may take time, but it might pay off, says Norm Blatner, a certified public accountant at Blatner & Mineo in Buffalo, N.Y.

“So let’s say, you know, $150, $200 longer [is] on your tax refund. Can it be worth spending an hour or two to find an additional $150, $200?” he asks.

You do not need to itemize to gain from some deductions. These are recorded directly on Form 1040 or, to a lesser extent, on Form 1040A. More deductions are available if you itemize expenses on Schedule A.

Here’s a rundown of some  tax deductions.   Ensure you have documentation for each before you document:

• Retirement account contributions.You can deduct contributions to a traditional IRA or self-employed retirement account. Just make sure you stay within the contribution limitations.

• Educational expenses.  Students may claim a deduction for tuition and fees they paid, as well as for interest paid on a student loan. The IRS won’t accept your deduction claim without Form 1098-T, which reveals your schooling transactions. Form 1098-E has details in your student loan.

• Medical bills.  Medical prices could provide tax savings, but only if they total more than 7.5% of adjusted gross income for the majority of taxpayers.

• Property mortgage interest and taxes.   You are sent by your lender if your mortgage payment includes the amount for land taxes, that will be contained on the Form 1098. That record will show home loan interest you’ll be able to claim on Schedule A.

Donations.   To make certain your generosity pays off keep your receipts. If you don’t have confirmation, the IRS could disallow your claim.

• Classroom expenses.  If you are a schoolteacher or qualified educator, you can deduct up to $250 spent on classroom supplies.

• State and local taxes.   You may deduct different taxes, including either state and local income or sales taxes. You don’t need receipts to the revenue tax; the IRS provides tables with average amounts you can claim. The tax on a purchase can be added to the table amount, so keep these receipts.

Be aware that state income taxes paid must be on your W-2, but remember to bring any state.


Credits are deductions’ more precious cousins: They supply dollar-for-dollar reductions. However, as with deductions, you require documentation to claim them. Here are some tax credits:

• American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning credits. 

All these credits can save quite a bit of cash. Much like all the tuition and fees deduction, Form 1098-T is required to claim.

• Child Credit. 

The normal Child Credit is worth  up to $1,000 per child dependent for the 2017 tax year. In case you added to your family you could qualify for tax credits.

• Premium Tax Credit. 

If you bought Affordable Care Act coverage throughout the government’s market, be watching for Form 1095-A. It will help you claim the Premium Tax Credit or reconcile the sum you got ahead of time.

• Retirement savings contributions credit (also known as the Saver’s Credit).   Contributions to a 401(k),  similar employer-sponsored plan or an IRA might make it possible for you to maintain this credit.

MORE:Tax deductions vs. tax credits


The majority of us have income taxes withheld from our paychecks to cover our tax liabilities; that sum is on our W-2 forms. But if you made federal estimated tax payments have this amount too.

This tax record covers planning issues common to most filers, but taxation are different for everyone. Be ready to tailor the listing above to your situation.